Centuries ago, writing boxes enabled people to transport their stationery and writing instruments from place to place. These boxes were small and portable and served as a storage container as well as a writing surface. Now, the analog writer and avid creative can still enjoy this charming piece with Galen Leather’s Walden Woodworkers Co. writing box. We have collaborated with Walden Woodworkers Co. to build this beautiful and unique writing box.
INSPIRED BY THOMAS JEFFERSON’S PORTABLE WRITING DESK
Inspired by Thomas Jefferson’s portable writing desk, this beautiful antique writing box is the perfect marriage of form and function. A vintage writing box for today’s modern writers, this high-quality wooden writing box is crafted from solid walnut and secured with a sturdy, nickel-plated brass clasp. Optional vegetable-tanned leather straps fastened with snaps provide a handle for the box, making it easy to carry.
When you open this portable writing box, you’ll discover that the compact yet spacious writing slope box has plenty of room inside for all the tools a writer would need. Its leather lining features elastic compartments to secure writing instruments, fancy pens, inks, notebooks, journals, and more. Two wooden prongs sit inside the lower half of the box and flip up to support the lid, creating a 15-degree angled cover and writing surface. This allows the writing box to serve as an antique lap writing desk, enabling you to write wherever and whenever inspiration strikes.
Carry your writing supplies everywhere you go or simply use the writing box as an attractive display for your treasured fountain pen collection. The charm of this writing box helps channel your creativity and would make the perfect gift for a writer, an aspiring novelist, poet, calligrapher, or artist.
The outer dimensions of the writing box are 12.5” x 10.2” x 2.7”. Finished with natural linseed and tung oil, it’s protected in shipping by a thick cardboard box.
*Due to the nature of the wood, each writing box will vary in color and no two will be identical.
- Six elastic pen slots
- One big elastic pocket-size notebook holder
- One small elastic pocket-size notebook holder
- Four upper elastic slots for clips/ papers /rulers
- The base fits two A5 notebooks, or TN, papers or documents
- Outside of the top cover fits a flat lay A5 notebook
- 15 degree angled cover to write comfortably on
- Outside: 32 x 26 x 7 cm (12.5 x 10.2 x 2.7 inches)
- Inside: 29 x 23 x 5 cm (11.6 x 9.2 x 2 inches)
- Made from walnut wood
- Nickel-plated brass accessories
- Vegetable-tanned leather inside the cover
- Comes in a thick cardboard box
- Finished with natural oils
- Made by Walden Woodworkers Co. - the package was designed by Mathias Johansson
- It is important to keep the lid of the box closed, when not using it.
- This box is made of natural wood and due to the nature of the wood and depending on your location, you can see warping. (mostly in winter). So it is acceptable that you can see a gap up to 4-5 mm gap between sides. Again it depends on your region, climate... It is not a production problem. A seasonal difference in humidity and weather.
- If you see this gap, you can put some heavy items and leave them for a while.